‘Abuse of power’: Bombay Bar Association says BCI chief Manan Kumar Mishra should have resigned over NALSAR row | Mumbai News


‘Abuse of power’: Bombay Bar Association says BCI chief Manan Kumar Mishra should have resigned over NALSAR row
The Bombay Bar Association condemned the Bar Council of India chairman’s action.

MUMBAI: The Bombay Bar Association (BBA) has condemned the recent action of Bar Council of India (BCI) chairman Manan Kumar Mishra against NALSAR University students, describing his August 13 communication as an “abuse of power” and saying a large section of students were “condemned unheard”.Mishra had directed state bar councils not to enrol students graduating from NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad, in 2026 as advocates after some students objected to the invitation extended to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant to attend the university’s convocation as chief guest. The BCI chairman later withdrew the directive and closed the proceedings against the students.In a letter dated August 18, the BBA said its Standing Committee met on August 17 and 18 to deliberate on the developments between August 13 and 15.The association said the August 13 communication was an “abuse” of the office of the BCI chairman as it was issued without giving the students an opportunity to be heard. It said the directive had caused “grave prejudice” to the professional careers of the NALSAR students.The BBA also criticised Mishra’s subsequent apology issued on August 15, calling it belated and saying it appeared aimed at merely “assuaging the situation”.The association said the apology could not be considered an expression of “true remorse” as Mishra continued to hold the post of BCI chairman. It added that, “in the fitness of things”, he ought to have resigned over the episode.At the same time, the BBA welcomed the BCI’s decision to close all proceedings against the students, describing it as “a step in the right direction” that restored faith in the institution.The association said the position of BCI chairman carried significant responsibility and described the August 13 communication as “uncalled for”.The controversy began on August 13 when Mishra directed all state bar councils not to enrol members of NALSAR’s 2026 graduating batch as advocates.The directive followed reports that some outgoing students had opposed the invitation to CJI Surya Kant as chief guest for the university’s convocation over his comments concerning NEET student protests in Delhi.Following criticism from senior advocates and other members of the legal fraternity, Mishra announced on August 14 that all proceedings against the graduating batch had been dropped.The NALSAR Student Bar Council subsequently condemned the BCI chairman’s action and sought an apology, arguing that dissent by students should not be attributed to external influence.Mishra issued an apology on August 15.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *