Dubare fallout: Open safari jeeps, buses to get grills, glass | Bengaluru News


Dubare fallout: Open safari jeeps, buses to get grills, glass

Bengaluru: Open jeep safaris may soon become a thing of the past in Karnataka, as the state govt moves to tighten tourist interaction with wildlife following the tragedy at Dubare elephant camp.On Wednesday, forest minister Eshwar B Khandre directed officials to phase out modified open camper jeeps and replace them with secure buses with protective barriers for safaris in tiger reserves and wildlife sanctuaries across the state. “Fortunately, there have been no incidents of wild animals attacking safari vehicles so far. This is the right time to adopt some safety measures to prevent mishaps,” the minister said in a note addressed to the Chief Wildlife Warden and Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife).The new safety measures will apply to safari operations in Bandipur, Nagarahole, Kali, Biligiri Ranganatha, and Bhadra tiger reserves, besides other protected forests and sanctuaries. Even VIPs must enter forest areas in secured vehicles, said Khandre.“Wildlife safaris in Karnataka’s reserves are very popular and a big draw with tourists, including from overseas. To ensure safety, only secured buses and vehicles will be used. Existing camper vehicles should be secured with iron grills or shatter-proof glass,” the minister stated.Khandre also ordered officials to equip all safari vehicles with first aid and emergency medical kits and station ambulances near safari centres to handle emergencies.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *