Mohun Bagan withdraw players from national team camp | Goa News


Mohun Bagan withdraw players from national team camp
Bagan’s decision leaves AIFF with little room to include players beyond the 30 who were shortlisted and asked to apply for visas

Panaji: India coach Khalid Jamil has been left with a rickety squad of just 18 players for the Unity Cup after Mohun Bagan SG asked their players to return home from the national football team camp in Bengaluru on Saturday.Jamil is preparing the team for the four-nation Unity Cup in England. The team had assembled for a day’s training camp, but seven Bagan players were told by their club not to attend training later in the day and instead pack their bags for home.“The players were at home at the end of the season and tickets were sent directly to them by AIFF,” a senior official told TOI. “The tournament is played outside the FIFA international window and clubs are not duty-bound to release players. If any player gets injured, there will be no compensation. AIFF hasn’t helped us in any manner, and it will be a risk to release players at this stage.”The official FIFA international match window is from June 1-9. India are set to face Jamaica on May 27, while Nigeria take on Zimbabwe on May 26. The winners will contest the final on May 30, with the losing sides playing the third-place playoff.Bagan’s decision leaves AIFF with little room to include players beyond the 30 who were shortlisted and asked to apply for visas. AIFF sources said had the club communicated its decision when probables were shortlisted last month, they could have looked at replacements.“It is truly heartbreaking that the situation has reached this point,” Subrata Paul, director, AIFF national teams, said in a statement late on Saturday. “I feel deeply sorry for the players who are unable to travel with the team, as opportunities like this are truly once in a lifetime. Playing international matches in England, the home of football, is something every player dreams of.“As a former international player myself, I can say with conviction that, regardless of the result, a player always comes away richer from playing international opponents of such levels.”With Bagan players’ withdrawal, Jamil will find it difficult to field a competitive squad against Jamaica. There may not even be enough players on the bench.Three of the seven Bagan players — Lalengmawia Ralte, Sahal Abdul Samad and Anirudh Thapa – form an important part of the midfield. With Ashique Kuruniyan injured, Jamil is left with Jeakson Singh, PN Noufal and Ricky Shabong.Bagan goalkeeper Vishal Kaith, defender Abhishek Singh Tekcham and forwards Manvir Singh and Liston Colaco are all experienced campaignersTo add to Jamil’s woes, East Bengal have advised Anwar Ali not to travel due to the injury he picked up against Inter Kashi in the concluding game of Indian Super League (ISL).It is no secret that Bagan have been at loggerheads with the All India Football Federation (AIFF) for a while. The relationship nosedived last week after the Kolkata giants failed the ICLS Premier 1 Club Licensing for the 2026-27 season. Bagan believe their license was rejected on “flimsy grounds” like not having an under-10 team, website, and a security officer who was not employed with the club.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *