Guwahati: Flood losses in four upper Assam districts have touched Rs 450 crore, CM Himanta Biswa Sarma said Monday, adding that the total loss could be in excess of Rs 1,000 crore.The estimate is based on an ongoing rapid assessment survey in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat, which were devastated by floods on July 19.The state govt on Monday released the second tranche of Rs 15,000 each to 31,951 flood-affected families, taking the total number of beneficiaries to 96,842. The first tranche covered 64,891 families.“Assam has suffered significant losses due to the floods, particularly in four districts — Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat. The floodwaters have receded, and the govt has stepped up relief and rehabilitation efforts. Today, we have released an interim payment of Rs 15,000 to each of nearly one lakh flood-affected families.”Sarma said over 26,000 families have been assessed so far.“However, this survey has covered only about 30% of the affected people so far. The exercise will continue until Aug 31, and I believe the total loss could be in excess of Rs 1,000 crore,” CM added.Around 3,000 additional families in Sivasagar assembly constituency are undergoing verification for a possible third tranche, he said.The first phase of the assessment is expected to be completed by Aug 28-29. The beneficiary list will then be uploaded on a web portal for public verification. Survey teams will revisit affected areas to rectify discrepancies, with a revised list expected around Sept 15-16. A third verification round will be conducted if required.“I appeal to every citizen and every household to participate in the rapid assessment survey so that we can provide them with adequate compensation and help them rebuild their lives and start afresh at the earliest,” Sarma said.Govt aims to disburse compensation by the end of Sept or before Durga Puja. Sarma said the state would discuss with PM Narendra Modi measures to expedite the allotment of houses under PM Awas Yojana to eligible beneficiaries in Sivasagar and Charaideo after compensation is disbursed.Sarma said 1,712 people had applied for a loan repayment moratorium. The application deadline is Aug 31. Of approximately two lakh loans in the four districts, not all borrowers are flood-affected, he said.Meanwhile, 1,598 insurance claims have been filed, of which 170 have been settled and payments disbursed.According to Assam State Disaster Management Authority data, at least 104 people died, and more than 50,000 were affected by floods in Assam this year.
