CHANDIGARH: A major security alert was sounded across Chandigarh on Thursday morning after bomb threat emails were sent to several prominent schools in the Union Territory, prompting authorities to activate emergency safety protocols and launch an investigation. Chandigarh Police said the emails followed a pattern similar to previous threat messages received in the city and clarified that no suspicious object had been found so far. Authorities said efforts were being made to ensure public safety while preventing panic among residents. The fresh threats come months after a similar incident in April, when a threatening email warning of multiple bomb blasts at key locations in Chandigarh — including the Mayor’s office, Secretariat, Chandigarh University, Gandhi Bhavan and several schools — had sparked a high-security alert. The email had mentioned specific timings for the alleged explosions, claiming schools would be targeted at 1.11 pm, the Mayor’s office at 2.11 pm and the Secretariat at 3.11 pm. It also threatened a grenade attack at Chandigarh University’s Gandhi Bhavan at 9.11 pm. The email read, “Khalistan wale bachian de khilaf nahin Hindu-stan Modi sarkar nu tabah karange KHALISTAN,” which translates to, “Khalistanis are not against the children; rather, they will destroy the ‘Hindu-stan’ Modi government–Khalistan.” The message also warned residents to “save their children” while referring to broader threats across the city. The April 1 threat had come shortly after a similar email was sent to the office of Delhi mayor Raja Iqbal Singh, prompting heightened security measures in the national capital as well. Meanwhile, Delhi Police said 47-year-old Srinivas Louis was sent to six-day police remand for allegedly sending more than 1,000 hoax threat messages targeting courts, government offices and institutions across the country. “47-year-old Srinivas Louis, who was arrested for allegedly sending more than 1,000 hoax threat messages targeting several institutions, High Courts and government offices across the country, has been sent to a 6-day Delhi Police remand. It has come to light that he had a land dispute in Mysuru, Karnataka, and his father was not getting his share. Due to this, Srinivas Louis wanted to study Law and was miffed with the Court as justice was not being done to him. He had qualified for NET and had worked as an Assistant Professor,” police said. Officials added that most of the emails and messages were allegedly sent through his phone. “Most of the mails/messages were sent by him from his phone. The police team has gone to Mysuru to take the device into their custody. He was an expert in masking his IP address. He had sent emails to a few cities, even in Pakistan. He kept changing his address, fearing that he would get caught. Not just Courts across several cities, but even the Supreme Court was on his target,” Delhi Police stated.
