CBI asks Goa govt to set up exclusive courts, transfer 39 long-pending trials | Goa News


CBI asks Goa govt to set up exclusive courts, transfer 39 long-pending trials

Panaji: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has written to state govt seeking designation of exclusive courts to try CBI-investigated cases and to transfer 39 pending trials to such designated courts.Panaji: Upset upon hearing that the unique mangrove boardwalk behind the Central Library at Patto is about to be dismantled, architect Gerard da Cunha plans to repair the project and maintain it on behalf of the Corporation of the City of Panaji (CCP).Cunha, who designed the boardwalk, said that the boardwalk offers immense value to children, senior citizens, and school students keen to understand Goa’s mangrove wetlands.“In the beginning, I was quite upset when I heard that the boardwalk was to be dismantled. I went to the place on Thursday to see it and I found that there are parts of it in really bad shape,” said Cunha.Cunha plans to meet Panaji mayor Rohit Monserrate on Monday with a formal proposal for the upkeep of the facility. “It will take around six months to get the whole thing in shape, but we need to protect the place immediately before the monsoons cause further damage. The repairs could cost around Rs 75 lakh, which can be raised through crowdfunding or other means,” said Cunha.Spread over 1,100 sqm behind the Central Library, the boardwalk was opened in 2018 under the AMRUT mission. It was meant to highlight the role played by mangroves in the ecology of the Ourem creek.Made entirely of wood at a cost of Rs 2.3 crore, the project fell into apathy due to the basic neglect by the Imagine Panaji Smart City Development Ltd and the CCP. Both entities have been pointing fingers at each other when it comes to upkeep of the project.With no maintenance, the place has become a hangout for vandals and anti-social elements.CBI said FIRs registered from 2002 and chargesheets filed from 2003 remain pending in various courts across Goa. It said these cases have been pending for over 20 years and should be disposed of without further delay to ensure the timely delivery of justice and to take investigations to their logical conclusion.The premier investigation agency noted that anti-corruption cases under the Prevention of Corruption (PC) Act typically involve extensive documentation and witness evidence, and that regular jurisdictional courts are unable to devote sufficient time to record evidence, leading to prolonged trials and denial of timely justice to accused persons.CBI said the issue of exclusive courts for CBI cases in states arose after the Supreme Court took suo motu cognisance of the long pendency of CBI trials during hearings in a criminal appeal of 2003, issued directions, and recorded undertakings from state govts.The agency said that in 2011, Goa govt conveyed to the registrar of the Bombay high court its agreement with Centre’s decision to set up a special court exclusively for CBI cases in Goa. It further sought the HC’s concurrence and requested appointment of a judicial officer in the district and sessions judge cadre.The state later issued a notification appointing a special judge for PC Act cases investigated by CBI in Goa. The notification subsequently underwent several changes.Since then, CBI said it has continued corresponding with govt for restoration of an exclusive court for PC Act cases investigated by CBI, and that the state has agreed in principle and the HC has given concurrence. “All consequential action — including orders to transfer all cases pending trial before various courts — may be taken leading to the functioning of such exclusive court,” CBI said.CBI also requested the constitution and notification of an exclusive magistrate court for the entire state of Goa to try CBI-investigated cases other than those under the PC Act.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *