Kolkata: Following directives from CM Suvendu Adhikari to reopen cases linked to post-poll violence, Bengal Police has launched a statewide legal crackdown. As many as 458 new inquiries related to 2021 post-election violence have been started, 181 fresh FIRs registered, and 59 cases where final closure reports had already been submitted, have been reopened.Reviewing the state’s law-and-order situation, DGP Siddh Nath Gupta reported to the CM that large-scale disturbances have eased since early May, but strict enforcement continues. A total of 200 FIRs have been registered over post-election incidents in 2026, and 433 people have been arrested. As many as 1,100 have been detained under preventive custody across districts.To manage the security situation, 40 companies of central forces remain deployed in Kolkata alone. “Central forces are providing sufficient help everywhere,” Gupta said. “Joint control rooms are also being set up at the district level for real-time coordination between central forces and the state police.”Sporadic incidents of violence, however, continued. On Monday, tension was triggered in Sonarpur’s Kamrabad Naskarpara after the house of BJP worker Soumen Das was set on fire. Sources said the blaze badly damaged household property. Das lodged a complaint at Sonarpur PS, naming local TMC worker Nabin Naskar and his son in the arson case. Das alleged Naskar and his men had earlier threatened to burn him alive amid a long-running dispute over garbage dumping outside his house.Cops reached the spot and began investigating the cause of the fire.
