NGT panel’s clean chit to Dera Beas centre on green violations | Chandigarh News


NGT panel’s clean chit to Dera Beas centre on green violations

Kullu: A joint committee constituted by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has found no evidence of environmental violations or land encroachment at a Radha Soami Satsang Beas (RSSB) centre in Jalera village, Kangra.The committee, comprising the Kangra deputy commissioner and officials of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and Himachal Pradesh State Pollution Control Board (HPSPCB), inspected the site on May 25 following allegations of environmental damage caused by road construction and hill-cutting.The report submitted to NGT said no alteration, obstruction or diversion of a rivulet was found and revenue authorities found the land to be privately owned. The state mining department also reported no evidence of illegal mining, excavation or transportation or storage of minor minerals.The public works department said no PWD road existed at the site, while the town and country planning department found no fresh construction by the organisation. The committee also found no fresh hill-cutting or muck dumping.On alleged illegal tree felling, the forest department reported that nine small Beul trees had been felled without authorisation during road construction on private land. It said the trees were felled by three local landowners not associated with the centre. A penalty of Rs 1,500 was recovered from them and deposited in the govt treasury.The committee, however, flagged a public hand pump installed by water resources department in 2012 that was found within the centre’s boundary wall. It recommended ensuring uninterrupted access to the drinking-water source for nearby villagers and the general public.The report said the site now fell within a “deemed planning area” under a notification effective Aug 1, 2025. The town and country planning department said the existing structure predated the notification and did not require permission under the current provisions. Any future or additional construction, however, will require prior permission.The committee concluded that the allegations in the application “do not appear to be correct”.The application was filed before NGT on Dec 15, 2025, by retired professor and Jalera resident Ramesh Chand Sharma, who alleged illegal hill-cutting, encroachment, diversion of a natural watercourse, tree felling and enclosure of the public hand pump.NGT on Apr 1 sought responses from the state govt, Kangra administration and HP Pollution Control Board and constituted the joint committee to inspect the site, verify the allegations and take remedial action.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *