SC dismisses SLP for stay on Garib Nagar slum demolition; 3 more held for stone-pelting | Mumbai News


SC dismisses SLP for stay on Garib Nagar slum demolition; 3 more held for stone-pelting

Somit Sen & Nitasha NatuMumbai: The Supreme Court has dismissed a special leave petition that sought to halt the ongoing anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, underlining that the railways are acting within the law to remove illegal structures, said Western Railway chief public relations officer Vineet Abhishek while speaking to the media on Friday.“This gives a clear message that we are doing the right work of removing encroachments. Illegal structures are being demolished as per due process,” Abhishek said. The development comes amid a continuing police probe into the stone-pelting and rioting reported at Garib Nagar in Bandra East during the demolition drive earlier this week. Police said three more people were arrested late on Thursday, taking the total number of arrests in the case to 19.At least five police personnel were injured during the violence on Wednesday by a group of around 150 people. Constable Jitendra Singh suffered a fractured hand, while another policeman sustained a broken nose, officials said. Protesters allegedly hurled stones and paver blocks at the police, prompting a lathi-charge to disperse the crowd.Among those arrested late on Thursday was Saddam Khan, described by the police as a key accused. A photograph purportedly showing him holding a paver block has gone viral. Khan was arrested from Govandi. Police also said his brother is a history sheeter. The situation at Garib Nagar remained under control on Friday and no fresh protests were reported, police said.The FIR was registered based on a complaint filed by an assistant inspector of the Railway Protection Force. According to thecomplaint, a mob of 100 to 150 people gathered at the site at around 4.30 pm on Wednesday and raised slogans opposing the demolition. Police repeatedly instructed the crowd through a megaphone to vacate the area, but the gathering allegedly turned aggressive despite warnings that force would be used if they did not disperse.On debris management, Abhishek said clearance work is progressing steadily. “On the north side, towards Bandra Terminus, around 50% debris has been cleared and disposed of. The remaining debris will be transported to designated dumping sites,” he said. Barricading has begun at multiple locations, and deployment of 1,000 to 1,200 personnel will continue through the weekend.Abhishek said the cleared land will be used for capacity augmentation at Bandra Terminus and the integrated railway complex, while easing congestion in Bandra East. He added that coordination with the traffic department will focus on streamlining passenger movement, vehicle circulation, and creating designated pedestrian and public transport spaces for safer entry,exit, pick-up and drop.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *