Jaipur: A property businessman allegedly abducted for ransom was rescued after Jaipur Police chased his kidnappers nearly 1,700 km for three days, tracing their movements through CCTV footage and technical surveillance before catching three of the accused in Kotputli.The victim had been allegedly held captive while his family was threatened with his murder unless they paid Rs 2 crore. Police said the gang moved him through several districts in Rajasthan and into Madhya Pradesh while using his own phone to make ransom calls.DCP (West) Prashant Kiran said the victim was rescued in Kotputli-Behror on Aug 22. Three alleged members of the gang — Saif Ali alias Saifu alias Kalu (29), Nazim Qureshi alias Parle (21) and Javed Hussain (24) — were arrested. Police seized the vehicle allegedly used in the abduction along with weapons and other material.The case surfaced after the victim’s son, Mohammad, approached Jhotwara police on Aug 21 and said his father had left for work at Sanjay Nagar Tiraha but failed to return. His phone was switched off. CCTV footage later showed a group of men allegedly forcing him into a Suzuki Fronx.That night, the family received a call from the victim’s phone. The caller allegedly demanded Rs 2 crore and threatened to kill the victim if the money was not paid. The family was warned against approaching police.Police formed a special team under additional DCP (West) Rajesh Gupta and ACP Jhotwara Shiv Kumar Bhardwaj. Investigators examined CCTV footage, developed a route chart from the vehicle’s movements and questioned criminals previously charge-sheeted in similar cases.The investigation also led police to the alleged planning of the abduction. According to police, the victim’s former tenant, Sofia Begum, knew about his property business and financial standing and allegedly helped plan the kidnapping with her sons Javed and Munna and their associates.Police said the victim, who has property and construction interests in Jhotwara, Khorabeesal, Jaisinghpura Khor and Nai Ki Thadi, was abducted from Sanjay Nagar Tiraha on Aug 20. The accused allegedly assaulted him before taking him away and moved him through Jaipur, Tonk, Sawai Madhopur, Kota and Madhya Pradesh.The victim was eventually traced to Kotputli after police received technical inputs and information from an informer.Police said members of the gang have criminal records in several Jaipur police stations, with cases involving robbery, attempt to murder, firing, extortion, kidnapping, assault and illegal arms. Around three dozen cases are registered against members of the alleged gang.Investigators are now searching for the remaining accused, including those allegedly involved in planning the kidnapping. Police are also examining claims made during interrogation about the gang’s alleged involvement in other extortion operations.
